Civil / Records Division

The Klamath County Sheriff's Office Civil Division is responsible for intake, filing, serving, and enforcing court orders and a variety of other documents issued by the courts. Examples of civil papers include small claim notices, restraining orders, eviction process, writs of garnishments and foreclosures of real or personal property. The civil division also may sell real or personal property as ordered by the courts.

Civil division staff is trained in civil process to make sure that all court orders are processed according to Oregon law and the Oregon Rules of Civil Procedure. On intake, after ensuring that papers are complete, a civil deputy delivers the documents to the person named on the paper, or as the law allows to a responsible party.

The civil division also processes and serves criminal subpoenas for the District Attorney's Office and the Juvenile Department.

Restraining Orders, Orders of Assistance, Writ of Executions, F.E.D.'s, Notice of Restitutions, and papers with impending court dates are given priority status. Under special circumstances, other papers may be given priority status.

Deputy Subpoenas

The Civil Division accepts subpoenas for deputies in accordance with ORCP 55 (2)(b). The subpoena must be presented to the Sheriff's Office for service not later than 10 days prior to the date attendance is requested of the deputy. Civil subpoenas must have the appropriate witness fee attached at the time the subpoena is presented for service.

Restraining Orders

The Restraining Order process starts at the courthouse. The courts will supply the forms that need to be completed. After the order is signed by a judge, it needs to be brought to the Klamath County Sheriff's Office so it can be served. This is a service that is free of charge to the public. Restraining Orders are a priority paper and will be served as soon as possible.

The Klamath County Crisis Center offers assistance in filling out and filing a Restraining Order with the courts. They can be contacted at 541-884-0390.


The Klamath County Sheriff's Office Civil Division cannot provide legal advice. If you have questions about the eviction process, the law library at the Klamath County Library provides resources to assist you in following the law. Copies of the landlord/tenant laws can be requested for a small fee at the law library.

Status of Documents

To check the status of documents submitted for service or for information regarding the civil process, please contact the Civil Division.