Concealed Handgun License - Frequently Asked Questions

CHL - Application, Click Here

Click HERE to be taken to the Application Download

What does "concealment" mean?

Unless a firearm is partially visible, it is considered concealed.

What will the license allow me to do?

A concealed handgun license allows you to carry a loaded or unloaded handgun concealed upon your person or concealed within your control in a car or other means of transportation.

What if I move to a new address within Klamath County?

ORS 166.295(C)(2) requires that the "licensee shall report the change of address and the sheriff shall issue a new license as a duplication for a change of address. The license shall expire upon the same date as would the original." Failure to do so may result in revocation of your License. The cost is $15.

What if I move out-of-state or from Klamath County to another county in Oregon?

If you will be transferring your license to another county, register with that county. They will notify us that you are no longer a CHL holder in Klamath County. However, if you do not transfer your license to another Oregon county OR if you move out of state, you must notify the Klamath County Sheriff's Office.

What if I lose or misplace my Concealed Handgun License?

You should report the loss of your CHL and make an appointment to have a replacement issued. The cost is $15.

How do I renew my Concealed Handgun License expires?

Pursuant to ORS 166.295(1)(a), a concealed handgun license is renewable by repeating the procedures set out in ORS 166.291 and 166.292. You are not required to be fingerprinted or to provide character references again. You must schedule an appointment, complete an application and pay a $50 renewal fee.

An otherwise expired concealed handgun license continues to be valid for up to 45 days after the licensee applies for renewal if: (1) The licensee applies for renewal before the original license expires; (2) The licensee has proof of the application for renewal; and (3) The application for renewal has not been denied.

Do I need to have my License reissued if I change my name?

Yes. Contact us to schedule an appointment so we can issue a card in your new name. Bring a marriage license or court documentation as proof of your name change. The cost is $15.

What if I have a Concealed Handgun License but do not have it on my person when I'm stopped by a law enforcement officer and have a concealed handgun in my possession?

This is a serious offense and can result in arrest and seizure and revocation of your License. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR CCL WITH YOU!

If I'm a resident of another state, but regularly travel through Oregon, will Klamath County issue me a Concealed Handgun License?

Maybe. ORS 166.291(8) the county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need. In order for someone who lives out of state to apply for an Oregon Concealed Handgun License, they must first write a letter either by mail or e-mail ( This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) to the sheriff requesting consideration. You will then be contacted by phone and given instructions on how to proceed with the process if you are approved. The letter must include your name, address, date of birth and the reason you would like to be considered for a concealed handgun license.

If I have been fingerprinted previously and my fingerprints are on file with the Oregon State Police, do I have to be fingerprinted again?

Yes. We are mandated by law to fingerprint new applicants for Concealed Handgun Licenses, regardless of whether they have been fingerprinted before.

How long does it take for a renewal License and when do I get my new License?

By statute we have 45 days to process your application for both new licenses and renewal of your license. Based on the work load of the concealed weapons division, sometimes your permit will be sent to you sooner than the 45 days.

Should I bring my weapon to my appointment?

No. Oregon does not require a concealed handgun license applicant to register their handgun or to qualify. Please do not bring your firearm to the Sheriff’s Office.



CHL - Application

Please select an application form to download

MS Word electronic fillable form

Adobe PDF form

Please email completed forms to:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Or, mail completed forms to:
Klamath County Sheriff
3300 Vandenberg Road
Klamath Falls, OR 97603

  • Klamath County Sheriff

    Chris Kaber

    3300 Vandenberg Road  -  Klamath Falls, OR 97603
    541-883-5130 Monday-Friday
    Public Hours: 9am to Noon and 1pm - 5pm
    Closed Weekends and County Holidays